updates vs. images -- limiting squeak to code

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Oct 14 12:09:13 UTC 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 3:20 AM, Cees De Groot wrote:

<snip>

> so I concede that there's zero need for an
> update stream at this point.
>
> Let's kill the bugger and see where it takes us if it is giving so
> much trouble.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

One slight variation we might try is to keep the update stream in
place for released versions of Squeak. This would give us the best of
both worlds: a greatly reduced burden for harvesters/integrators,
while still giving Squeak users a good experience. We had no problems
in the past with the attitude that people should be prepared for some
breakage and inconvenience if they use alpha releases. On the other
hand, preparing tweaks against a stable release for the update steam
should be relatively easy - there would much fewer of them, and
they'd be fairly simple in most cases.

Colin