Need to do something

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 16 08:28:49 UTC 2005

> I have  a question. One that I have since a very long time, but I
> always feared to pop up one of these kind of threads.
>
> What happens with the packages that nobody wants to steward ? I ask
> because I think that nobody will take care of something that don't
> use, or directly need.
>
> So. If there will be packages with no stewards. What will happen
> with the fixes and enh related to them ?
>
> Well. I know that what I will gonna say is not liked by many here,
> but anyways:
>
> We need to stop having one unique (or official) squeak image. We
> need to have a Bob's image, and a Peter's image, and so on. And
> because they are owned images, those images will be good cared. And
> the rest of us (the followers like Chris said), will just choose
> which image we like more and we will use it.
>
> This schema means that Bob will stop sharing things with Peter ?
> No. If Bob wants the goodies of Peter, and viceversa, they will
> both work to adapt they images and goodies to be shareable. Here
> all the work and what needs to be done will be done out of
> necessity, and by the people who need it.
>
> Will this fragment the community ? not more than it is right now
> (this thread is a probe of that). And I also dare to say that it
> might reduce the fragmentation by calming the ones who currently
> don't feel represented.
>
> Thanks for reading and don't flame me too hard.

There is a risk of mess. This is why we tried to maintain a single
one while introducing packages.
I think that this is the way to go. Having a group of people focusing
on maintaining (harvesting the enh)
and in the same time incorporating changes that allows one to cut the
image in part.
Then may be at the end we will get a miniimage and a script to load
and create different image.
But this will be slow and we will need people helping.
Stef