[ANN] Bootstrapped kernel image

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Sun Oct 16 16:32:16 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have prepared an experimental kernel image based on Squeak 3.7.

Properties:
- size: 1.3 MB
- no Morphic
- no MVC
- no Sound
- no Network
- no Browser, Debugger etc.
- no SUnit
- no Projects support (there’s only one default project)
- only necessary processes
- no ObsoleteClasses (consistent references in sources)
- single font
- simple console with clipboard support
- transcript output (with file log)
- transparent creation mechanism

Download:
- image with changes: ftp://comtalk.net/pub/bootstrap/kernel.zip
- bootstrapping environment: ftp://comtalk.net/pub/bootstrap/Bootstrap.zip
- please, can somebody place it to a new location with better connectivity?

How to prepare it:
- use QuiteSmall image
(http://www.swerlingphoto.com/squeak/QuiteSmall-3.7.zip)
- load Mirrors.1.cs
- load Bootstrap.st
- evaluate "Bootstrap start"
- in console type "Bootstrap revert"
- wait a while
- condense changes, clear transcript, save image

How it works:
- for all classes in system "mirrors" are created. Mirrors are classes
with prefix "Xxx" that contain only class definition and methods. They
contain no valid references to class variables.
- mirrors are modified so they contain whole class hierarchy for new
system. There are original classes used in code of methods.
- initial cleanup is executed and system processes are recreated
- for all original classes, methods of mirrors are assigned. Methods
that aren’t in mirrors are removed. Then the new definition of class is
used.
- unnecessary original classes are removed
- mirrors are removed
- whole sources are recompiled
- additional cleanup is executed

The console is very simple. Now it cannot simulate FillInTheBlank,
confirmations, user interrupt etc.

Feel free to clean, improve and fix this image. I have to say that I’m
VERY tired of creation of this image now and I need a pause :-)

-- Pavel