fixing undescores

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sun Oct 16 19:55:46 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not want to open another war but we would like to use
>
> http://source.impara.de/underscore/
>
> to fix the fonts and the packages of the image to use consistently :=
> as offered by the package of Bert.

I'm all for it. Although I liked the left-arrow symbol when I was first
introduced to Smalltalk, it is a real anachronism by now. Wherever we
present source code textually, it should conform to current standards.
Graphical representations are a different matter, of course.
I don't know how many existing MC packages still use _, these would have
to be fixed as well...
Maybe if the fonts were changed, people would start using := more (since
_ assignment looks ugly) and _ assignment could be phased out with
Squeak 5.0...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin