fixing undescores

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 16 22:04:37 UTC 2005

On 16.10.2005, at 16:55, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not want to open another war but we would like to use
>>
>> http://source.impara.de/underscore/
>>
>> to fix the fonts and the packages of the image to use consistently :=
>> as offered by the package of Bert.
>>

> I'm all for it. Although I liked the left-arrow symbol when I was
> first introduced to Smalltalk, it is a real anachronism by now.
> Wherever we present source code textually, it should conform to
> current standards. Graphical representations are a different
> matter, of course.

Exactly. If we use ascii text, we should use ascii text. And if
somebody wants a more graphical redering, then it should be done "for
real": Abandon the use of text and
instead use a higher-level, object based representation for methods,
then render that to whatever the user wants.

> I don't know how many existing MC packages still use _, these would
> have to be fixed as well...
> Maybe if the fonts were changed, people would start using := more
> (since _ assignment looks ugly) and _ assignment could be phased
> out with Squeak 5.0...

Shout alerady replaces _ by :=, the result of that is that we see
lots of changestes that should be one-line changes but are not,
because of the _.

     Marcus