[ANN] Bootstrapped kernel image

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Oct 18 15:03:47 UTC 2005

Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> Sorry, but I have to say that it¹s not possible, at least now.
>
> 1) It¹s based on Squeak 3.7 and the upgrade to Squeak 3.8 is complicated
> with m17n integration (that has moreover undergone heavy quake before
> final release)
> 2) As you can see, Squeak can have separable kernel, but its
> architecture is not ready for safe loading of top level packages. This
> packages (like Morphic) are often very insensitively embedded in kernel
> 3) The code is often not modular. The classical example is construction
> isMorphic ifTrue: [ do something with Morphic ] ifFalse: [ do something
> with MVC]. There¹s no space for another UI (like Tweak or wxSqueak) or
> no UI.
> 4) This step requires support of whole community and massive painful
> refactoring
>
> So the question is, do we want Squeak with minimal kernel and packages?
> Do not say yes promptly because this architecture is in fact not very
> familiar with Smalltalk philosophy.
>
> If we say yes, then we have to specify general kernel architecture and
> properties. It¹s useless to try to prepare similar kernel for Squeak 3.9
> without vision. Locus classicus: "This calls for immediate discussion!" ;-)
>
> -- Pavel
I write you off list, now I say something to all what could be interested.

Some people could know what I working on SqueaKLight, what is trying to be
the minimal morphic what could grow to any image.

I also take the Boris script for go to 3.7 MVC and how load things on it.
At present , I was able to have how to load Monticello code produced in 3.8
or 3.9, in particular I was able to load Network-gk.15.mcz what I think is
last Network "package".
Also could have MVC doing all what I wish with .png and .gif external files
and happy playing .mp3, taking the appropriate "parts" from 3.7, 3.8 or 3.9.

I think what you do is the most close to "Egg" what in past I talking about,
meaning the bare code what could be run in regular Terminal mode on Unix
like OS, with current normal VM's.

So, the answer is all what different people are working on could converge on
4.0 , two years from now.

I put the new 3.7 MVC image on my fpt.
ftp://elpelotero@200-122-104-133.cab.prima.net.ar/
password: elpelotero.