Actually doing something! (was Re: Need to do something)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Oct 19 14:26:25 UTC 2005

Hi fellow Squeakers!

This post is more or less a copy of a post I made to the packages-list a
few days back. I am more or less reposting it with some adjustments.
Below is a howto for how you can step up and actually start Stewarding
TODAY. Now read on. :)

Me and Ken got excited :) on IRC and decided to try to get the movement
towards a Stewarding/Team/TFNR/distributed-responsibility-whatever model
for maintaining the current packages that Basic consists of.

We picked "Network" as a good spike to play with and I started with
registering such a package on SM and setting the PackageInfo name to
"Network" (there is a buglet in the form there, if it complains about
the PI name being taken, just clear it, save, enter it again and save)
and putting me a and Ken as co-maintainer - we of course hope to add
quite a bit of people there and gradually build a team. If you are
interested in maintaining the Network classes - email me and I will add
you as co-maintainer if we think you fit the team. :)

Here is the SM entry:

	http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/network

The next step we did was to ask Doug (one of the admins at
source.squeakfoundation.org) to create a project on
source.squeakfoundation.org so that we have a place to host our
Monticello snapshots. Source.squeakfoundation.org is a Squeaksource
server running at box2 and it is primarily used for preparing the next
release and for these "official" projects. It is not a necessity to use
source.sqf as the repository, but to keep things simple in the beginning
we think it is a very good idea.

Anyway, our plan (Ken and me and anoyone who joins) is to explore this
"by doing" and "by example". We will now begin looking at the 30-ish
issues on Mantis about the network classes and start to produce new mcz
that we intend to push to the inbox at source.squeakfoundation.org - so
that the current release Team (Marcus, Stephane etc) can integrate.

At the same time we will document our process and gradually build a
howto describing how others can step up and steward some other piece of
the Basic image.

But the current draft of this howto goes like this:

1. Contact me or Ken if you want to Steward one of the current PIs in
3.9a. Just download the latest image and take a look at which they are.
Ken and I are from... eh, today :) responsible to track and manage all
official Teams btw so you only need our confirmation, and we are two
friendly souls. :) And remember the Team model applies here too - you
form a Steward team.

2. When you get the OK from either of us two the team leader in your
team goes ahead and registers the SM entry and don't forget to enter the
PI name in the SM package entry exactly as it is in 3.9a. Then add your
team members as co-maintainers.

3. In step 1 above we will make sure a project is created for you at
source.squeakfoundation.org. This means it is a good idea that you
register there so that we can add your accounts directly in the project
when we create it.

Then you can get to work and start producing good quality mcz's :).
Remember, according to the team model one of us from the board will be
assigned as "coordinator" so we will bug you about how things are going
etc.

Now, there may be bumps in the road here - but let us tweak the process
as we go.

regards, Göran