HttpView2 best setup

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Oct 20 08:40:27 UTC 2005

Hi again Jimmie! :)

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at cableone.net> wrote:
> I tried installing HttpView the other day into a newer image, 3.8, 3.9 I
> don't remember. It didn't install cleanly, but I don't remember what the
> problems are. I'll try again later. But that isn't really what I'm
> writing for.

HV hasn't been updated for Squeak 3.8 yet, nor has KomHttpServer, even
though the issues with both are probably trivial.

> What is the best image choice and what are the best installs to have the
> best setup for HttpView2?

Well, for the upcoming SM that I have hacked on lately I chose 3.7 with
latest KomHttpServer. I just didn't want to drown in m17n related
issues. :)

Note that I did release an improved HV just a few days ago on SM, but I
also have more fixes to HV that is not yet released on SM, see
http://squeak.krampe.se for the latest (even though I see the
*absolutely* latest isn't even saved there yet).

> I remember something about socket classes and whatnots. But I don't know
> what or if any have become changed to the default implementations.

Ehm, right - I assume you mean FastSocketStream, my new implementation
of SocketStream that KomHttpServer uses. I use that in SM now and FSS is
now the default implementation of SocketStream in 3.9, but for 3.7/3.8
you can install FSS from SM and just replace the single reference from
KomHttpServer to that class instead.

The most noticeable effect is dramatically improved file upload
performance in web forms, but it is quite a bit faster for other things
too - but you generally don't see it for light loads. The class comment
of FSS has tons of details, but the simple idea is that it is a "drop in
replacement" of the older SockeStream (that originates from Bolot's
original Comanche).

> Any way, whatever wisdom and guidance you can provide is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jimmie

Doing my best. :)