[ANN] QualityControl (Was: Re: 3.9-6993 unimplemented calls)

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:09:34 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> A better way of avoid Transcript ?

In my applications, I usually have some sort of logging subpackage,
which also includes stuff like severity levels, etcetera. And a
devel/runtime switch so you can halt on errors just in development.

But QC was mostly meant with base packages in mind. I don't think base
packages should send halt or mess up the Transcript. We've got
exceptions to deal with communicating exceptional stuff to the outside
world.

In fact, personally I would like to add sends to #error: as well. One
of the things I consider a big wart in Squeak is that everything just
does 'self error:...' instead of setting up and signaling a decent
exception. Which means that all the error handling blocks degenerate
to [] on: Error do: [], thus completely defeating the possibilities of
an exception hierarchy in Squeak...