License Issues / base image cryptography

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Oct 21 15:44:49 UTC 2005

Marcus Denker a écrit :

> On 20.10.2005, at 23:46, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>

>> I've read through them but I'm not an expert on licenses.  Can you
>> give me
>> your reactions to using either one of these license models for our
>> cryptography packages?  What would the general reaction be?  Has  anyone
>> compared the models enough to tell me the difference between Squeak  and
>> LGPL?  For LGPL I understood the extra requirements to separate
>> functionality of the package form the applications so that it can  be run
>> separately and the source code availability requirements which
>> considering
>> that this is smalltalk and source is always available we can  include the
>> license on the class comment to make sure that developers include this
>> notice in their applications.  We have not decided to go this  route;
>> we are
>> just exploring the options.
>>

> LGPL has the problem that it seems to only work for C based system with
> real "linked" libraries. If you add the code of a an LGPLed smalltalk
> framework,
> it could be argued that you are not linking but reusing, thus forcing
> LGPL on the
> complete image. (I think in situations like these, people add a
> preamble to the
> license to explain what they consider to be ok. I think GNU Smalltalk
> did that)
>
> For Squeak, I think we decided to use the MIT license for all new
> stuff, with
> the goal to eventually have everything with that license.

Yes, we have to choose just one licence for all new Squeak development.
MIT is a nice one and you have not the viral problem like with GPL and i
think it's easier for corporate acceptance like Cincom.
Tweak is under MIT, Croquet is under MIT.

Do crypto export limitations outside US still exist ? Or there is no
more problems like that ?

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##