[Cryptography Team] How many repositories does it take to screwina lightbulb?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:18:42 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
> That would be fine.  Is there a way to use Monticello and or squeak map to
> download a single package from the repository?

You're mixing up two very different things. SqueakMap is a catalog
system, Monticello a versioning system. One is aimed at users, the
other is for developers. And SqueakSource is a repository for
Monticello, divided into projects for administrative reasons..

Monticello works at the granularity of packages (by default, but I
won't unnecessarily complicate matters here :-)). You version all of a
package at once, and there's an n:m relation between versioned
packages and repositories. Usually, for any given team, you decide on
a single repository because usually all the team members (and
non-members) have the same level of access to all the packages the
team maintains.

Now, if the time comes to deploy stuff to the general public, that's
when SqueakMap comes into play. SqueakMap has a very loose
relationship with either projects or packages, it defines its own
entity being a library catalogue card. The stuff you put on that card
can be whatever you like - the simple thing being a single Monticello
package which is then available for direct installation through the
SqueakMap package browser, but more complex projects often publish
cards containing a pointer to a more complex entity like a .sar file
(Squeak ARchive) which is the closest thing we have to an installer.
A .sar file can contain all sorts of stuff, and so can fill your image
with a plethora of packages in one mouse click.

However, that's all deployment-time stuff. For development-time, a
SqueakSource project is an administrative domain, and as such a single
project will suffice for the Cryptography team.