Strange behavior

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 18:17:10 UTC 2005

On 10/22/05, Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Because we have a problem with making real ones...

Still - it begs the question: what is a 'real' image?

> I mean, up to some days ago, nobody cared *at all* about moving things
> forward and now suddenly we want 24 hour reaction time? Why not
> trying something in between those extremes first?

I'm saying that I think it's a goal we should strive for. Note that
I'm not saying this for the first time. And we've got some build-up of
enthousiasm and the teams, I would hate to lose that because their
work doesn't make a round trip quick enough to keep them
enthousiastic..

> Another problem: I directly sent you a mail that it will take a while
> to integrate your changes.

That's another issue the 39a team needs to work on, yes. Stef asked
specifically to integrate this work. I spend half a day to do it, and
then receive back from you a mail that it will take a while to
integrate the work.

Note, again, that it'll be hard to put me off :), but I'm concerned
mostly about us whipping up package teams at one end and having no
place to go for their work at the other end...

> Andrian and Daniel spend *weeks* on that stuff, with "first come
> first serverd" changes like these will never make it.

Sure they will. At least, that's how I always did this sort of stuff
(and I worked in some *very* complex environments, think supporting a
matrix of 15 operating systems, 10 databases, and at least three
branches of development): you branch for a big integration, and
constantly feed back smaller patches from the trunk. In that way, you
never wander off too far, nor lock the trunk because everyone has to
wait for a big change (which seems to be the case now?).

We tried the 'lock the trunk for a big change' approach a while, but
it pissed off the developers. Now, in this corporate setting we could
hold out for a while by just telling them to stop whining and go back
to work, but somehow I think that in a volunteer setting this approach
would be even less succesful :)

> it's not my day-job, so there is no way that I can
> provide a 24h service.

Fine with me. And I'm not saying we must provide 24h response
overnight, just that I think for psychological reasons that 24-48h is
something to strive for.

And, I repeat - with your being busy, is there anything I can do? The
last time I asked, I got the ToolBuilder/PlusTools stuff thrown at me,
but that clearly wasn't the right thing to spend my (very precious)
spare time on...