Traits status (was: Re: Strange behavior)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Oct 23 07:13:25 UTC 2005

I asked adrian to reply to you. He has been working with daniel to
have something that can be managed by the stream.

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> Another problem: I directly sent you a mail that it will take a while
>>
> > to integrate your changes. One of the reasons is that we can't right
> > now update the image, another is that, as I said, we need to
> > carefully look into how these change interact with traits.
>
> Out of curiosity: What is the status of traits? What conflicts
> exist and need to be addressed? Where can I have a look at the
> current version to see what potential conflicts there are and how
> to work them out?
>
> For the records, I have of course tried to load the 3.7 traits
> version from SqueakMap but to no avail - it takes about an hour
> before it dies with an "error during install: PureBehavior
> class>>compiledMethodAt:ifAbsent:".

Strange because if I remember well I could load it.
You know adrian and nathanael were simply bored not to have reaction.

> And when I try to open a debugger I get repeated errors of the same
> sort so it's no good even to try to understand what is going on here.
>

>> Why do we now need to rush everything? We managed to do nothing
>> for 8  Months while waiting for 3.8, so why now suddenly the rush?
>>

> How about "because we would all like to avoid such delays in the
> future"? Is that good enough of a why? ;-)

Excellent news. Now I would prefer to see a steady and small effort
than a huge one only now.
But again we cannot expect people to react in 24-48 hours.

Stef