Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

untz untz786 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 11:22:07 UTC 2005

Hello there!

I am a really good Java programmer who is aspiring to learn
Smalltalk, using Squeak.

The current version of Squeak that I am running is:  Squeak 3.86Beta6

I am running this implementation on Mac OS X Tiger...

Several questions:

1. I installed Squeak in my hard drive at this location:

/Developer/Smalltalk/Squeak3.8-MacOS-Full

Using the book, entitled, "Squeak - A Quick Trip to ObjectLand"

( http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0201731142/ref=sib_dp_pt/
104-5386346-0518331#reader-link ),

I started creating projects based on the material in Chapters 2 & 3...

When trying to save the ObjectLand.image file (after several mock
projects) in the "World Menu" using both menu items, "save" and "save
as...",
I noticed that it saved the following files in my Squeak root
directory ( /Developer/Smalltalk/Squeak3.8-MacOS-Full/  ):

ObjectLand.1.changes
ObjectLand.1.image
ObjectLand.changes
ObjectLand.image
ObjectLand_segs

Also noticed that it created a new directory (which is empty, by the
way) right under the Squeak root directory called:

ObjectLand_seqs

Also noticed another directory under my Squeak root directory,
called, Squeaklets, containing the following files:

New Changes.001.pr
New Changes.002.pr
New Changes.003.pr
New Changes.004.pr
New Changes.005
New Changes.006
New Changes.gif
resourceCache.map

Can anyone tell me what these prospective directories + these files
(including the extensions: images, .changes, .pr., & .map) mean?

2. When I tried to save new files in a brand new directory (some
other location than Squeak root), using the following menu items
"save project on file..."
and "load project on file...", (belonging in the "World Menu") to:

/Developer/DevProjects/SqueakProjects/ObjectLand

I noticed the following files:

New Changes.001.pr
New Changes.002.pr
New Changes.003.pr
New Changes.004.pr
New Changes.gif

Why did it not save it as ObjectLand001.pr instead of "New Changes"?
What are these .pr files and .gif files? Why can't I save everything
(including .st files) in a
directory, other than, the Squeak root directory?

3. Why do the "save" and "save as..." actions save to Squeak root
instead of the location I specified the "save project on file..."?

Sorry if this seems confusing, I just figured there would be an
easier way to set up a project along with its file system structure....

Also, sorry, if these seem like such basic questions (I've only been
using this lovely environment for two days, now!)

Many, many thanks!

-Unnsse