Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Oct 24 07:39:13 UTC 2005

Hello untz,

u> How do I load a previous image into Squeak, when I tried to open one
u> using the file menu item and even the file list menu item,
u> it opened up a new window (inside Squeak) displaying archaic code...

in Win you drag the image onto squeak.exe or give the image name as a
parameter to squeak. There is no such thing as loading an image into
squeak. (Though I guess there is a simulator for the Virtual machine
which would do just this at slooooow speed :-) I guess there is a Mac
way to link an image to squeak so squeak starts the selected image on
click.

If you just start squeak it gives you a selection of image files
(starting in its home directory) if it finds more than one image. So
maybe, as your images are in different subdirs squeak only finds one
image and uses that automatically.

To stretch the example again:
When you open a hibernized laptop you don't start windows (or MacOS
iirc) and then load the saved image but a small bootstrapper just
copies your OS and running programs into ram.

That small bootstrapper is squeak.exe (in win, never used a mac). The
image is the hibernation file.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net