Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Oct 24 10:24:06 UTC 2005

untz puso en su mail :

> Thanks for all the helpful information, gentlemen...
>
> On Mac OS X Tiger, the equivalent of win32 executable (.exe) is .app,
> therefore the Squeak 3.8.6Beta6.app is the virtual machine.
>
> Ok, I got the hang of it now... Now what are the .pr files for and how does
> one use them instead of .st files and .image files?
>
> Do people pause / resume there work in Smalltalk loading the .pr files or the
> .image files or the .st files (it does seem that the .st files only contain
> one small source listing)....
>
> Many, many thanks!
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Unnsse

Begins as Spanish only and now have people of all world, could write in
English, many beginners and some pros could answer you.
The quick answer.
In Mac OS X Tiger, you can have many directories with Squeak , several Vm,
(I have 8 different in my Dock).
All VM and SqueakXYZ.sources go to Application folder.
All what you do or download from somewhere go to Squeaklets  folder, and
that folder is created automatic when you load or create the first .pr
The .pr is a way for having a island of your particular world for sharing
with others (or with others worlds of you)
But if you know biology know what is very dangerous introduce foreign
species in different habitat.
That , in Squeak , means what not always you could move all your living
objects in a different .image.
No object created on 3.8 and newer could survive in older images.
Not always old loved pets from 3.6 or earlier could live in new images.
(Alice, MorphicWrappers, MathMorphs, many others).

Waiting questions ...:=)

Edgar