Squeak (file system & project structure) newbie questions

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Oct 24 21:23:21 UTC 2005

Hi Bert--

 > ...we could now extend the idea of projects to "larger" applications
 > involving both live objects and larger  chunks of costume code, but
 > AFAIK nobody has done any real work in that direction, yet.

	I have. Spoon object memories synchronize themselves by negotiating
directly, using remote messages. Any object in any memory can send any
message with any parameters to any object in any other memory. Each
parameter can be any object in any memory. Each memory can be on the
local machine or elsewhere on the network.

	So you can, for example, install compiled methods directly without
having to recompile source code, transfer initial values for class
variables without running class "initialize" methods, etc. I'm using
these sorts of abilities to make a change management system called Naiad
("Name And Identity Are Distinct").

	I'm preparing the 1 alpha 9 release of Spoon currently.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist