Jon's Web Browser somewhere ?

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 20:05:52 UTC 2005

Simon Michael wrote:
>Thank you, Jon!

Yes, thank you very much Jon.

>For anyone looking at this, here are some notes, from
>http://squeak.joyful.com/MediaView :
>
>- Define Character>>fromLatin1Value: as an alias for
>Character>>value: to get files to load.
>
>- Make HTMLBrowserApplication subclass Object, not ProtoObject, to
>avoid 100% cpu utilization at HTMLBrowserApplication basicNew.
>
>- Define Preferences>>inDatabaseNamed:at: as an alias for
>Preferences>>valueOfPreference:.
>
>- HTMLCache>>initializeCacheAccessSemaphore complains about Semaphore
>new: 200.

And thank you, Simon, for the jumpstart!  I just tried a quick little
session to see how much might be involved in getting Jon's MediaView to
work.  Here's where I got to.  I don't claim that any of this is the
best way or even a good way to do this.

1. After doing Simon's changes above, I loaded the URI package from
SqueakMap and started changing MediaView code like "URL fromString:" to
"URI fromString:".  I didn't get them all yet.
2. I commented out the ": 200" part of the
HTMLCache>>initializeCacheAccessSemaphore method, and did the same
thing for the similar method dealing with Cookies.
3. Then an error about the LayoutColumns class came up.  I noticed a
LayoutRows reference in some of the code too.  I'm sure someone can
come up with a simple way around this, but I didn't see these classes
in the code browser fileOuts that Jon originally made available, or in
versions 3.2 or 2.2 of Squeak, so I'm not sure where they might have
come from.

At this point it occurs to me that making this project work is probably
not a really simple task, so it would probably be best to organize it
so that the efforts of multiple interested parties can be put to best
use.  Maybe by using Monticello and SqueakSource?  What is the best way
to organize this effort?