Jon's Web Browser somewhere ?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:51:54 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:
> I wrote this web browser in 1997/98. HTML has changed a lot since then. A
> significant amount of my work on the web browser was making the system
> handle all the "bad" HTML that was out there.
>
> I have no idea what the current situation is.

Better; much better. Actually, from what I've heard it is rather
straightforward(*) to implement the layout bits for clean (css-based)
modern html. Your browser probably supports most of the old quirks
that were implemented then and are still supported, and that seems to
be a large part of implementing a browser.

An example is WithStyle, the VW browser. There's a marked difference
in rendering quality between oldschool (like my homepage -
www.cdegroot.com) and newschool (like my company page - www.tric.nl)
layouts. The old stuff seems much harder to represent correctly...

(*)straightforward ~= a small task...