Mailing list management

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Fri Oct 28 23:24:37 UTC 2005

Simon Michael wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> I then close Thunderbird and copy the archive over from the News
>> folder to the Mail folder and voila I have the full archive in my
>> email and available to it searching capabilities.
>

> Hi Jimmie, why this part ? I just subscribe to the newsgroup and when it
> asks how many to download, say download all (if necessary, unsubscribing
> and resubscribing to achieve this).
>
> I agree, thunderbird is terrific for reading/searching/filtering the
> list archive. Gmane plug: http://squeak.joyful.com/lists shows which sq
> ueak lists are available on gmane and how to add new ones.

Hello Simon,

I haven't checked the most recent Thunderbird beta, but for some reason
the searching in newsgroups limits the searches to subject and sender.
You cannot search the body of a message. Ugh!

So for lists that I subscribe to as a mailing list, I'll get the
archives via gmane for local searching.

I would sure like it if the next or a future Thunderbird allowed similar
searching in newsgroups as is available to email. If that were so I
might subscribe to all my squeak lists via gmane. :)

I even tried doing a symlink in my Mail dir to the gmane squeak list. It
worked somewhat but was quirky. I don't remember what all issues I had
with that but it was enough I didn't maintain it.

Hope this helps explain my thinking.

Jimmie