Fonts (was Henrik Gedenryd has passed away)

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:37:24 UTC 2005

Hi,
I am in the process of porting the SubPixelRendering stuff to 3.9.

There seem to be two main parts...
1. Using Freetype to render horizontally stretched & anti-aliased font
glyphs to a bitmap, and creating a kind of  StrikeFont from that bitmap.
These fonts can then be saved as .font files, and reloaded later, without
Freetype or the original font files (e.g. .ttf ) being available.
2. 'Un-stretching' those glyphs when they are rendered, so as to produce the
Sub-pixel effect.

I am at the point where I have part 2 ported to 3.9, and I can use the .font
files which Henrik had produced.
I will release something soon (but first I need to check out
copyright/licensing issues with the .font files).

Part 1 will require more work, and possibly plugins.
I think that others are already doing some work with Freetype?
It may also be possible to use the existing ttf rendering to produce the
stretched glyphs, rather than using Freetype, although I think that Freetype
will produce better results (better anti-aliasing, font hinting etc).

Currently this stuff only works for black text, so there is still more to do
before it could become generally useful.
Cheers,
Andy