Some thoughts about managing packages in VW

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Sep 2 07:32:42 UTC 2005

On 1 sept. 05, at 21:32, Cees De Groot wrote:

> Being one of the culprits and having had exposure to MC, StORE and
> ENVY/Manager... This whole StORE thing was mostly born out of
> frustration with the lousy work that Cincom delivered in this area
> (StORE's code sucks, and how they managed to make such a thorough
> mixup of packages, parcels, namespaces and whatnot I don't know).

I know I tried to understand it. This is really really bad.

> So don't take too much of this as an example; I think MC actually has
> more to offer at the moment than StORE, modulo a couple of utility
> things (it'd be nice to have a copy that would also copy
> prerequisites, etcetera). Between VW, VA and Squeak, MC sits in the
> way the least except maybe for speed (Envy rocks, speed-wise!).

But we could speed it up with byte-code loading. :)

Cees I was thinking in particular how to manage "bundles" in MC.
Since I do not want to have hardcoded reference in my dependencies.
So what would be the best practices.
Right now I have the following

PB
       which hold all the dependent packages

and all the packages are flat
So I can load PB and get a correct configurations and I can load the
other
independently when there is no prereq

This is also in the context of Kabungu. I think that this is
important to
learn from the errors or practices of others. And we are currently
learning
from lineUp from reinout for our code in VW.

Stef