first class method categories (was Re: WTF is a trait?)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 22:43:03 UTC 2005

On Sep 3, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Blake wrote:

> Ooh. That's a damn cool idea.
>
> Would that mean that Smalltalk categories would have (or reflect,
> rather) semantic value?

We'd have to decide whether we wanted to just have traits (and so
every method category would become a trait), or whether we wanted to,
at least at first, have distinct concepts of first-class traits and
second-class categories.  I'd personally lean towards starting with
the latter, slowly promoting individual categories into traits by
hand over time, rather than a big-bang conversion of every method
category in the image to a trait.

But yes, it would at least allow for some categories to have real
semantic value.

Avi