pending mac carbon vm 3.8.8b14

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Sun Sep 4 17:19:51 UTC 2005

On 9/4/05, John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hello, I'm looking for a bit of feedback from people who might have
> adjusted the out of the box choices for screen flushing.

I tried a few things, but they didn't have any noticeable improvement.
So I tried to make things worse. The only change that made any real
difference was setting SqueakUIFlushPrimaryDeferNMilliseconds to zero.
That made Hilbert draw one step at a time, as expected.

So I can see Hilbert one step at a time, or I can see it appear in
little chunks. There doesn't seem to be any other setting on my
machine. (In particular, the setting that lets Hilbert appear in large
chunks, which is what I have under the older VM, alas.)

Perhaps there is some other action (such as menu drawing or text
scrolling) that's more or less responsive under some settings, but I'm
not observing it.

I'm running this on a 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4, though. Maybe on slower
hardware the differences are more evident.

--Tom Phoenix