[ANN] Marvin: Self for Squeak - Slate

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Sep 5 19:30:56 UTC 2005

On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:49 AM, David P Harris wrote:

> Brian Rice wrote:
>>> Slate is at: http://slate.tunes.org/
>>> Slate looks very interesting and I have wanted to explore it.
>>> However, it remains hard to use (to me) in the text-only form,
>>> and  I was wondering if the graphical environment has been
>>> developed (yet)?
>> Not yet. That's why we don't announce releases here. The
>> rendering  framework works, but I don't have enough people to
>> maintain the core  and have time to develop the entire UI - a self-
>> perpetuating problem  since contributors self-limit themselves
>> when there aren't enough  easy tools to use. I'll work through
>> this, but it takes time.
> Yes, same-old :-(
> Is the rendering framework in the available code?  Does it render?
> Might need to take a deeper look ;-)
>
> David

Yes, it's in src/ui/ and there is a "backend" API bridge to SDL in
src/ui/SDL/port.slate (ignore the other files there - they were
contributed by a relatively confused fellow). Someone else has
claimed creating an OpenGL backend, but has not shown us the code for
it.

Re: the actual tools to port, I wanted to start with OmniBrowser, for
obvious reasons of extensibility, but right now I need to focus on
our equivalent/generalization of ImageSegments.

There is also an ncurses interface in src/plugins/smart-console/
which actually works on Windows terminals as well (wrapping raw
windows api's), but it is very slightly not stable enough for
requiring its use in the released configuration, so our tools-usage
of it is still just a variant of the REPL with command-line
completion, history, and such.

--
-Brian