[ToolBuilder] Conversion of SqueakMap Package Loader (was Re: The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self))

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 7 06:33:34 UTC 2005

Hi Victor!

Victor Rodriguez <victor.palique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Goran,
>
> 2005/9/5, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se>:
> > Hi Victor and all!
> >
> > Victor Rodriguez <victor.palique at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > So, how can I help the ToolBuilders?
> >
> > Start by joining that list (perhaps you have) and get into it. :)
>
> I have joined the list. However, I took a look at the archives and the
> last messages suggest that the list should close down due to low
> trafic, and the discussion move to squeak-dev. (I'm crossposting to
> the list anyways, just in case.)

Ah, ok. Haven't read that list in a while.

> > One obvious thing that needs to be done with ToolBuilder is conversion
> > of old tools - like say the SqueakMap Package Loader would be cool to
> > have written using ToolBuilder. :) And if you decide to pick that exact
> > task - I am the one to ask about the package loader since I wrote it and
> > maintain it.
>
> Alright, I like the task. I promise that at the very least I will take
> a look at it (which I know it's not much). I think I'll make a serious
> attemp to do this, but I cannot promise much: for starters I'm still
> learning Smalltalk, but the real reason is that I can only manage a
> few hours per week to work on Smalltalk/Squeak. :-(

No problem.

> If anyone has any pointers, I'll gladly take them. Is there a
> particularly good example of how to convert an application to
> ToolBuilder? I just downloaded 3.9a-6690, I assume that is what I
> should use..

One good example is probably the latest Monticello (given Avi's code
quality in general), because I think the one in the latest 3.9 is
rewritten using ToolBuilder - I just read in another thread that *that*
is the reason for the trees to be rendered as lists. That issue will
obviously also strike you since SMLoader uses a tree view too.

> Best Regards,
>
> Victor Rodriguez.

regards, Göran