Genie

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Thu Sep 8 20:40:33 UTC 2005

Hi Simon

> Genie (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2439) is a terrific
> enhancement allowing flexible mouse/pen gesture recognition
> in Squeak - thank you to the author(s).

Your very welcome :-). I'm glad you like it.

> At one time I published a changeset and gesture dictionary
> which set it up nicely for day-to-day use. In particular I
> could use mouse gestures to jump between projects quickly. I
> miss this and I'm seeking help to get Genie working again in
> current images.

It's indeed unfortunate that Genie is not really available for the most
recent versions of Squeak any more. What happened is that while I wrote
Genie initially, Ned and I were later adding some additional features that
Alan needed for a demo. Since I was a bit time constrained, Ned was then
nice enough to more or less take over the maintenance of Genie and was also
in charge of packaging it up in an effort of removing all unecessary part
out of the Squeak image.

Unfortunately, it seems that this process got never quite finished, which
means that Genie is now not officially available anymore. This is really a
pitty, because with the yet "unpublished" add-ons we did for Alan it is even
cooler.

Anyway, I think it would be the best if we would get Ned's opinion on this
because he should know best what's the current state of the Monticello
version and how much work it would take to actually make an "official" Genie
package. It might even be that Ned has a working version of the package
lying around somewhere. Otherwise, I'll try to allocate some time to look at
this and come up with a quick fix as soon as possible.

Nathanael