[ANN] new version of services available for preview

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Sep 9 12:42:17 UTC 2005

> Hi,

Coooooooooooooooool

>     I just released two packages on squeakmap for further testing:

Did you try it out on 3.9alpha?

>     - Services-All contains several packages related to services
> grouped together for convenient downloads:
>             -- Services-Base should go into the image at one point
>             -- Services-RB is the refactorings services

Ideally I would like to get rid of the RB browser and only have the
RB engine in 3.9
Is this services-RB package support that?

>             -- Services-Keymapping provide keyboard shortcuts for
> services

We would like to have Keymapping in 3.9a as a package so I guess that
your package supports that too.

>             -- Services-IDE provides a few nifty features describe
> later
>
>    - BrowseUnit has been updated to use the new version of the
> Services framework.
>

>    This new version of services provides:
>         - A cleaner way to define and register services, by
> subclassing a ServiceProvider class
>         - Possibilities to add services in button bars such as in
> browsers
>         - Better update mechanism, allowing menus and button bars
> to be dynamically changed
>             (no need to open a new Browser when you install
> BrowseUnit for example)
>         - Better support for disabled services in menus (they are
> grayed out)
>         - Possibilities to enable or disable set of services in the
> Preferences
>
>     On to the nifty IDE features ;-) :
>         - Histories in browsers, inspired by Alain Plantec's add on.
>                 The differences are:
>                     -- no additional instance variable in browser
>                     -- triggered by keyboard shortcut (apple-[ and
> apple-] on the mac, the alt key for windows or linux)
>                     -- histories in message lists (apple-{ and } )
> as well
>         - An hypertext mechanism: double-click on a code entity
> (variable, message send), to be transported here.
>                 combined with histories, it makes the class browser
> really feel like a web browser.
>         - Possibility of leaving unnaccepted methods, and restoring
> them later, which improves the browsing experience as well
>         -Senders, implementors ... can be restricted to the image,
> package or hierarchy levels
>         -There is a teleporting device ;-) : press apple-t or alt-
> t, enter some text, press enter, and you will be teleported where
> you wanted...
>             Here are some examples:
>             -- enter "ord.col" to browse the OrderedCollection class.
>             -- enter "do:" to browse the implementors of do:
>             -- enter "ord.col do:' to browse OrderedCollection>>#do:
>             --enter "h" to get further help.
>         This was inspired by some Mac utilities such as Quicksilver
> or Launchbar, only much more limited ;-)

Sounds cool.
How do I go to the method
     "ord"?

Stef