[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Fri Sep 9 13:19:26 UTC 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 1:42 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>> Hi,
>>

> Coooooooooooooooool
>

>>     I just released two packages on squeakmap for further testing:
>>

> Did you try it out on 3.9alpha?

yes, it is working on 3.9a as well, I tried with the latest version
as well

>>     - Services-All contains several packages related to services
>> grouped together for convenient downloads:
>>             -- Services-Base should go into the image at one point
>>             -- Services-RB is the refactorings services
>>

> Ideally I would like to get rid of the RB browser and only have the
> RB engine in 3.9
> Is this services-RB package support that?

yes it does

>>             -- Services-Keymapping provide keyboard shortcuts for
>> services
>>

> We would like to have Keymapping in 3.9a as a package so I guess
> that your package supports that too.

yes it already does.
  I talked with David at ESUG and the final integration should be
quite easy to do
in a nicer way.

>>             -- Services-IDE provides a few nifty features describe
>> later
>>
>>    - BrowseUnit has been updated to use the new version of the
>> Services framework.
>>

>>    This new version of services provides:
>>         - A cleaner way to define and register services, by
>> subclassing a ServiceProvider class
>>         - Possibilities to add services in button bars such as in
>> browsers
>>         - Better update mechanism, allowing menus and button bars
>> to be dynamically changed
>>             (no need to open a new Browser when you install
>> BrowseUnit for example)
>>         - Better support for disabled services in menus (they are
>> grayed out)
>>         - Possibilities to enable or disable set of services in
>> the Preferences
>>
>>     On to the nifty IDE features ;-) :
>>         - Histories in browsers, inspired by Alain Plantec's add on.
>>                 The differences are:
>>                     -- no additional instance variable in browser
>>                     -- triggered by keyboard shortcut (apple-[ and
>> apple-] on the mac, the alt key for windows or linux)
>>                     -- histories in message lists (apple-{ and } )
>> as well
>>         - An hypertext mechanism: double-click on a code entity
>> (variable, message send), to be transported here.
>>                 combined with histories, it makes the class
>> browser really feel like a web browser.
>>         - Possibility of leaving unnaccepted methods, and
>> restoring them later, which improves the browsing experience as well
>>         -Senders, implementors ... can be restricted to the image,
>> package or hierarchy levels
>>         -There is a teleporting device ;-) : press apple-t or alt-
>> t, enter some text, press enter, and you will be teleported where
>> you wanted...
>>             Here are some examples:
>>             -- enter "ord.col" to browse the OrderedCollection class.
>>             -- enter "do:" to browse the implementors of do:
>>             -- enter "ord.col do:' to browse OrderedCollection>>#do:
>>             --enter "h" to get further help.
>>         This was inspired by some Mac utilities such as
>> Quicksilver or Launchbar, only much more limited ;-)
>>

> Sounds cool.
> How do I go to the method
>     "ord"?

you also have one-letter commands to give more context:

"i ord" would browse implementors of methods matching ord
"s ord" is the same for senders, etc ...

Cheers,
         Romain