Important for 3.9 submissions and fixes

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Sat Sep 10 17:30:41 UTC 2005

Hi Stef,

What follows is copy/pasted from another mail I've just sent, but what I say
also aplies to this discussion. The point is that when submitting stuff to
be harvested, I believe sometimes changeSets are better than MC.

Now I see that the packages in the last published image should be the last
ones published in source.squeakfoundation.org.
I see two ways of keeping that consistency.

a) If someone publishes stuff in a .cs. Then you file that in in the master
image, and then save new versions of the modified packages, and publish the
new master image.

b) Someone publishes stuff in a MC package in source.squeakfoundation.org.
Then you load the new packages in the master image and publish it.

For this first MorphicSplitters work, option a) is the only choice. If we
try option b), well have a problem we had several months ago in the
MorphicSplitters group, when using Cees' repository.

Let's suppose I (Juan) file in the MorphicSplitters cs, and publish the
resulting packages. Basically what we did is to move stuff out of the
Morphic package and in the MorphicExtras and EToys package.

When you (Stef) try to load those packages in the master image, because of
the prerequisites, you will load Morphic first, then MorphicExtras and then
EToys. When you load Morphic, MC removes all the classes that were in
Morphic before and now will be loaded in MorphicExtras or EToys. But when
they are loaded back in the new package, all live instances and class
variables are lost.

This problem only occurs when moving stuff, modifying package boundaries,
not when updating a package.

So, when setting package boundaries, it's better to do it via change sets.

Cheers,
Juan