[ANN] Squeak Foundation

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Sat Sep 10 23:09:26 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Since a year, we (marcus and me and some others) have been playing
> with the
> idea that Squeak deserves a foundation and after several tries, we
> decided to doit!
>
> Have a look at: http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/squeakfoundation
>
> Now we are nearly ready for the prime time. We hope that you will like
> it and support it. Read the actions: http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/
> squeakfoundation/actions/ and the goals and principles: http://
> smallwiki.unibe.ch/squeakfoundation/foundationgoalsandprinciples/.
>
> In a nutshell we want to make sure that we get an organization that
> pushes the visibility of Squeak
> and that enables Squeak to be a platform of development for all kinds
> of applications (educations,
> multimedia, web developments, research), but also support the
> production of books, videos...
> We want to make sure that Squeak continues to be maintained even if
> we stop. We want to be able to
> pay a cleaner a day a week to support the harvesting and bug fixing.
> Squeak needs to have more users and
> companies selling products with it, because the more we will be the
> more we will be to fix and enhance
> the system.
>
> Now this is not a private club,  if you want to REALLY help, you are
> more then welcome,  we have a lot to do
> CD, DVD, merchandising, website, projects... But pay attention that
> we are looking for people not only talking :).
>
> Now if you like the idea but you do not have the time but trust us
> for all the good job we did over the years
> then support the foundation, read the http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/
> squeakfoundation/supporters/ page.
>
> To speed up the bootstrap we asked ESUG to host it and also to
> sponsor it. They accepted
> and gave us some money to start (2000 Euros) and noury the ESUG
> treasurer accepted to
> have separate accounts and deal with the money issue.

This is cool. Let me know what I can do. You can email me directly.

Did I miss it, or was there a link that describes the organizational
structure? Is it a registered non-profit organization? Which country is
the foundation registered in? Where does my money go?

My first impression is that the legal descriptions should be available
on the website before a "donate" button is active. (I'm sure you've
thought about it and haven't gotten around to it.)  I'd like to pass the
word about the foundation and promote it but I don't feel right asking
people to donate if they can't find information about the organization.
Again, I'm probably jumping the gun here.

otherwise... cool...

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124