[ANN] Squeak Foundation

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:33:23 UTC 2005

Some comments:
First of all, I'm glad you're getting this off the ground. I like the
goals and such.

But then I have one big basic question. You need to make a decision.

The site sends me two conflicting messages of what the foundation wants
to be.
1. An organization to help the people around you that contribute to
Squeak do so more effectively. This would be a good thing, and it seems
well organized for that. You, Noury and Marcus have worked together
quite a bit, and have the ability and focus to do more with some money
from the community.
2. An organization meant to represent the wide Squeak community. This is
supported by the wide base of the "Wises" and mainly by the goals and
principles, which are quite general.

So I think either decision is good news for the community, but you do
need to decide because:
If you intend to be somehow representative of the Squeak community (this
is what I hope), you have to be open and actually representative. So:
1. it needs to be clear what the criteria/process is for people to get
into the various lists. Currently, I have no idea how the "wises",
"core" lists were decided. A vote? (and by who?) people.SqF.org masters?
just everyone you thought of off the top of your head?
2. it needs to be clear what the relations are between the different
groups. How is the exclusive sounding "wises" different from the
ambigously explained mailing list? ("by invitation", but "if you think
we forgot you we probably did", and "we need commited people, not
mailing list members").
3. You have to make the decision who is in and who isn't actually be in
the hands of the community.
4. Same goes for the decision power - what projects get funded, for
example, needs to be controlled by either the funders or the community
at large.
5. The server setup should be similar to the sqf.org site - several
maintainers, distributed in time zones, and widely contributable (though
not necessarily open wikis).

If you don't intend to be representative of the community, that's
perfectly ok. To take an example, I'm very glad squeak-ev exists, and I
have nothing to say about what its structure is. However, in this case,
please don't call yourself the "Squeak Foundation".

After you've made this decision, and I know what this new foundation is,
I'll probably go ahead and buy some merchendise and become a supporter
either way, because I believe in the people and care about the goals,
but currently you haven't clearly stated what you want it to be.

And what that decision is will determine my level of involvement.

Daniel