A post about SqueakL

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Mon Sep 12 20:37:53 UTC 2005

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> First I want to say that I personally am glad you're doing this. I can't
> estimate chances about either Apple of Disney, and don't have any
> contacts there.
>
> However, as I see it, any code that can be freed by relicensing or
> reassignment of copyright to a friendly foundation is less code that
> needs to be rewritten before Squeak is free. So if you can convince just
> one of the giants, that would be just dandy, thank you very much.
>
> And I would guess Apple has copyright over things that are harder to
> rewrite, so its decision is the more important one, from the point of
> view of freeing Squeak.
>
> Daniel
[snip Tom's message]

I too would like to see this attempted. If Squeak were able to free up
its license it would be a wonderful thing and would hopefully end (with
right license, MIT/BSD) most all Squeak license threads.

I find the SqueakL quite dreadful. While it may contain much liberty, it
also contains much false information. Squeak when release by Apple in
1996 may have fit the description. But its 2005. Squeak is no longer
beta, pre-release, pre 1.0 software. But the license is stuck there.

I personally would think this to be achievable. Apple hasn't had
anything to do with Squeak for a long time. Disney likewise. Since then
both have released other open source software.

How much of Disney's code could be removed by replacing Morphic with Tweak?

Any way, I think this is a very desirable goal.

If they won't do the right thing simply because it is the right thing.
Maybe they'll do it due to public press via blogs. I don't know.

Jimmie