[ANN]VerySmallTalk PhD position @ Douai

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Sep 14 20:24:12 UTC 2005

Hi!

Noury Bouraqadi <bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr> wrote:
> I'm not familiar with Forth. Have you any pointers to start with?

I have been toying with Forth this summer, looking at a bunch of
implementation to learn more about how small implementations there are.
I found a whole bunch that are interesting and I am toying with the idea
to use Exupery's intermediate form to create a very small Forth kernel
inside Squeak.

There are a number of forths that are built with just around 30 or even
fewer fundamental words - and then they bootstrap themselves from that.
A new forthish lang is factor.org also. And retroforth. Here are some
links:

http://wiki.forthfreak.net/ - a portal, lots of links.
http://www.dotquote.org/ - a news site.
http://www.retroforth.org/ - a popular new forth it seems.
http://factor.sourceforge.net/ - interesting new forthish language. Even
mentions Slate as inspiration.
http://www.zetetics.com/bj/papers/moving1.htm - really good article
series describing how to implement a forth.

http://www.baymoon.com/~bimu/forth/ - eForth, a forth based on the "mini
kernel" idea, inspired lots of other forths like hForth etc.
http://www.ioccc.org/1992/buzzard.2.design - a really cool forth-like
language implemented in a really odd but very cool bootstrap method.

Then there is also pygmy, postforth and a bunch others. The one I found
to be most easily read and understood is hForth which seems to be an
improved eForth.

Well, there ya go. :)

regards, Göran