Publishing on Monticello

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 08:55:02 UTC 2005

Michaël Piel wrote:
> You can also use the "override" method to do that. put your
 > changed methods in a category named "*<YourPackageName>-
 > <originalCategoryName>-override". Thus, These changed methods
 > will be put as *Extensions in your package but the original
 > package will not appear as modified in the monticello browser
 > (wich is interesting if you made this package a dependency of
 > yours). And finally, if you unload your package the orignal methods
 > you changed will be restored.

Generally speaking this is an evil thing to do. In my experience (which
is plenty by now) having overrides typically points to either a bug you
have to fix or an inflexibility (for some extension of yours) in the
original design. Both are better solved by keeping a modified version of
the original package rather than using overrides. Personally, by now I
really think it would be better if MC wouldn't support overrides at all.

Cheers,
   - Andreas