VMMaker generate Java (JavaVM class files)?

Dave Mason dmason at sarg.ryerson.ca
Sat Sep 17 11:33:45 UTC 2005

I am working on a high-quality static compiler that currently accepts
Java class files as input.  I have a Masters student looking for a
project, and I was thinking that it might not be *too* much work to
re-target VMMaker to generate Java or Java class files.  This would
possibly make squeak even more portable, and would provide a good
test-bed for my compiler.

Opinions (pro and con, technical and philosophical) welcome.

I think I also noticed that someone was essentially running Smalltalk
code directly on a Java VM.  I'd be interested in pointers to that work
too.

I've set the reply-to to me, because I don't think this is likely of
interest to many other people at present, but if you're interested let
me know and I'll either post a followup or send you an email when I've
gathered replies.

Thanks  ../Dave