Merge tool of MC

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 18 07:50:06 UTC 2005

Thanks bert
>> If I select an item and press reject nothing happens, should the
>> selected item be underlined, crossed?
>>

> You can only reject conflicts, the ones that are highlighted in bold.

Ok I want to reject a change that was not conflicting but I knew it
was not indicated.

> It's a bit misleading that the buttons are always shown, even if
> there is nothing for you to do. I actually changed that when
> merging a configuration - the Merge dialog is only shown if there
> actually was a conflict.

Ok this is good because I was totally uncertain of the consequences
of my action and used
to get a stroke line in the change replayer

>> How do I know the ones that I reject or keep?
>
> Use your brain :-)

I meant from the UI feedback point of view. For the rest my brain is ok.

> Really, that's why Monticello lets you as a programmer decide - it
> *cannot* decide on its own whether to use the version that was
> modified in the image, or the one from the branch you are merging in.
>
> Sometimes it is necessary to first "keep" the change, and then
> after the merging, fix the methods in the regular browser. This
> happens, for example, when both versions each added a line to a
> method. Neither of the methods would be correct, so you would have
> to add the one line from the previous version back into the newer
> version.

I was confused also by the red color of the method definition. Does
it mean something.
Does it mean that it is new? You see while harvesting I have to do
experiment with hypothesis and check the result, this is
slowing me down a lot. For example for the red, I thought oops there
is a conflict, but there was none so I checked why this guy
is showing me the code in red.....

> We could use a bit more tool support for that - it would be nice if
> one could fix the method right in the merge tool. But in practice
> the conflicts requiring manual fixing are not that common.

The main problem is to remember the methods that you have to fix
after so may be been able to select the method and open
a method list browser would be already goo.

The problem is that managing my code is far different than managing
code when harvesting. When this is my code I always
know what I want, and the UI can be less good. When I integrate
foreign code then any UI feedback
can help me not to lose too much time.

Stef