[MC] How to get diff: a typical scenario

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:49:34 UTC 2005

On Sep 18, 2005, at 2:40 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I wanted to know the changes (the delta) that  Collections-md.20 in
> the 3.9alpha introduced compared to Collections-md.19.
> So I selected Collections-md.20.mc from the repository, press diff
> I got a version: Collection-md.20
> (diff against Collection-md19)
>
> - Browse shows me everything so did not help.
> - Changes shows me only the difference but I'm surprised since I do
> not see Dictionary>>isDictionary and Dictionary>>at:put:
> which I can see when I browse the cs in the dual change sorter in
> Collections-md.20 cs
>
> So what am I doing wrong?

That's not the intent of the Diff button: it's for creating a "diffy"
version of a given package version (semantically equivalent but more
compactly represented), not for examining changes.  Again, bubble
text needed :)

So, what you should do instead is press History.  This will pop up a
window with a list of earlier versions down the side.  You want to
see the delta against Collections-md.19, so select that from the
list, right-click and choose "view changes -> Collections-md.20".

Except, please do note that as Daniel pointed out a couple of times,
the changes weren't made in Collections-md.20, they were made in
Collections-md.18.  So you actually want to be viewing the delta
between Collections-md.17 and Collections-md.18.

The Collections-md.20.cs actually represents the diff between .20 and
whatever was the previous version loaded when .20 came into the image
- that is, the image at one point jumped from (for example) .10 to .
20 and so the .20 changeset contains all of .11, .12, .13, etc's
changes.

Avi