Publishing on Monticello

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 23:33:40 UTC 2005

Colin Putney wrote:
> On the other hand, it's not clear to me that calling them "revert"  and
> "upgrade" makes these operations any easier to understand.

Well, I claim that "load" sounds to most new users like something so
clearly benign, that they might use it without even reading the balloon
help. However, it is not as benign as that, because even in the context
that's most similar (a single document application in which doing load
closes the current document, opening the other one) you usually can get
back by using the "recent files" feature.

However, in MC, doing load, you would find you have switched from
something to this, and want to go back, but don't know what something is.

So maybe a sufficient solution to that (with out a name change) would be
to have this button #inform: the user of its semantics on any except the
most trivial of cases (existing version is an ancestor of loaded version
or not there).

A bit annoying, but since we really don't want people using it most of
the time, maybe a good tradeoff anyway. If using load points people at
merge, we might not have to rename merge to make it more attractive.

Daniel