How much is my Squeak Image like Sourdough bread?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed Sep 21 18:29:52 UTC 2005

Austin King wrote:

> Greetings Squeakers,
> I am interested in the history of the Squeak 3.8 image.
>
> Metaphorically how much is my Squeak image like sourdough bread?

That's an interesting comparison (especially as I rather like sourdough
bread...)

> Literally, are there instances of objects that have been living ( or
> allocated ) in the image for 30 years?
>
> I can see how the individual class and method definitions can be
> traced back, just like libraries in other file based programming
> languages, but the runtime system of the image seems wholly different.
>
> Was the image thrown away during major transitions in VM such as
> Smalltalk-72 -> Smalltalk-80 -> Squeak? If not, how is this transition
> made?

AFAIK the image does descend from the original Smalltalk-80 release
image which was made available to Apple and others during the initial
release (1981). Of course, it has suffered some radical transformation
steps regarding the memory layout of objects (16 vs. 32 bits, object
table vs. direct pointers) but these did not involve any kind of
rebuilding from source. Objects such as nil, true and false and some
parts of the class/metaclass machinery are probably mostly unchanged (of
course methods were changed or added, but the structure of these objects
changed very little). It's somewhat ironic that Alan Kay, who urged his
group to "Burn The Disk Packs"
(http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_V.html)
is using an image which has basically survived from the early eighties
:-) But I love it that way.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin