Running InterpreterSimulator and introduction to Spoon

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Sep 21 22:04:40 UTC 2005

Hi Luc--

	(I hope you don't mind my including the Spoon and Squeak lists in my
response. I think the simulator is of interest in those places.)

 > I like to play with the interpreter simulator a little more before
 > learning more about Spoon.
 >
 > What version of VM and image do you use to get InterpreterSimulator up
 > and running? I tried the 3.7.7 VM and 3.7 and 3.8 stock release on
 > linux without success.

	I've been using Squeak 3.2 for Spoon (that was the current version when
I started in August 2002, and my plan is to move everything from there
to a Spoon 1 final system).

 > As experiment, I followed the guidelines described in
 > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/squeak/1196663 and
 > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2465
 > and got the following trace back
 >
 > Subscript is out of bounds: 0
 > Array                                  at:
 > functionPointerFor               inClass:
 > addNewMethodToClass
 > internalFindNewMethod
 > commonSend
 > normalSend
 > secondExtendedSendBytecode
 > dispatchOn                        in:
 > test

	So it looks like we've accomplished our annual breaking of the
simulator? :)  If you decide to give it a go with 3.2, you might also
want my simulator fixes[1].

	thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/dmjo8