Building the VM got easier? 64 bit ready?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 22 20:12:38 UTC 2005

On 22-Sep-05, at 12:59 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Does "the latest VMMaker" refers to the one on squeakmap, or to ones
> on your site?  The version numbering is confusing to me, because SM
> shows 3.8b4 as the latest.  I figure 37 references some other kind of
> versioning system.

On SM, for public releases, I've been using strings like VMMaker3.8b4
to try to make a reasonably intuitable conenction to an image
release. For less-public releases I leave it to MC to version number
things.

> I'm guessing the new VM requires a new image format...
The converted to 64 bit images have a new (slightly) image format and
code number but 32 bit images are just the same. The VM code is (we
think) 64 bit clean so you can compile a 32 or 64 bit VM from the
same codebase.

Ian's original alphatest package had a long description of all the
variations possible so I won't repeat it.

tim