new Magma (was: Dictionaries broken in 3.9a)

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Fri Sep 23 15:13:09 UTC 2005

>  > Magma is back to 100% pure*, making no system changes that have not been
>  > approved for at least 3.9.
>  >
>  > [*] I left the 3.9-approved fixes in, however, for <= 3.8 users.
>
> IIUC, what this means is that if we change those methods again, and then
> a user of such an image loads Magma, the further fixes will be reverted.
>   The ensuing mess causes unbounded amounts of pain to the users and
> developers of all the packages you're overriding.

No, I've completely removed the overridden methods from the overrides package
("System overrides for ma object serialization"), therefore nothing is
overridden anymore on any Dictionary.  You can change those methods all you
want and loading Magma will have no effect on them.

> Overrides are evil, please don't use them.

I generally agree, but Squeak bugs are evil too, so what to do when you find a
Squeak bug, have submitted it to Mantis and awaiting its harvestation?  Up 'til
now, I have been isolating the fixes in a separate package explicitly named
"Overrides for blah" to give it high-visibility and easy unloading, which
Monticello supports.

> If the intent is to provide a 3.8 usable version, that is better served
> by keeping them only in a fork intended for use in 3.8 (there is no
> problem with overrides there, since the version will be very very stable).

Ah, I see your point here.  You are talking about the *other* fix in the
overrides package besides this Dictionary one.

Probably what I will do is create a "Magma 3.8 compatibility" package that must
be loaded separately until the fix is harvested into a maintenance release of
3.8.

Magma doesn't officially support 3.9 yet anyway, but when it does, I will do
this.

Thanks,
 Chris