[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Fri Sep 30 20:09:46 UTC 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 8:55 PM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> On 09/30/2005 02:18 PM, Romain Robbes apparently said:
>

>>> [snipped]
>>>
>>> I am jumping in kind of late on this discussion, so I apologize
>>> if  it's already been covered.
>>>
>>> What about using the function keys or another keystroke
>>> combination?  My preference would be to *not* modify the double
>>> click action.  The way I do it in Eclipse is to doubleClick.
>>> Then  I press F3 or some other key combination and it takes me
>>> there.
>>>

>> yes but I'd rather do it with only clicking, as it seems to me to
>> be  faster (the alternative being to keep a key pressed,
>> maybe this can be done somehow).
>>

> That's surprising.  I thought you were a vim user :)  I find that
> taking my hand off of the keyboard and reaching for the mouse is
> much slower.  As much as possible I like to use keyboard navigation.

yes I am. but if you take the metaphor of the web browser, it makes
more sense. I find myself navigating most of the time through
5-10 methods at the same time, without editing. Then I start editing
again. For this the mouse is faster.

>>>   Eclipse also has the concept of the browser back and forward
>>> buttons that will help me navigate through my history of
>>> navigations -- these actions are also bound to Alt-LeftArrow and
>>> Alt-RightArrow.
>>>

>> with services you can do that by default with meta-[ and and
>> meta-]  (or apple-[, windows-[)
>>

> Ah, I didn't know that.  I will have to employ it.

you have also alt-shift-[ in message lists (next list of message ...)

>>> Eclipse also adds the ability to navigate and get information by
>>> just placing the cursor anywhere in the text.  So for this code,
>>> "someObject.doS[cursor positioned here]omething();", pressing F3
>>> takes me to the method doSomething() in someObject's class.  I
>>> don't know how hard that would be in Squeak, but it sure would
>>> be  nice to have.
>>>

>> Well you kind do that with services (just placing the cursor
>> instead  of selecting text), except the shortcut is longer.
>> In fact this is the same thing used for click-navigation.
>>

> So, I can't press Alt+n in the following and get to senders?
>
>    aCollection sel[cursor here]lect: [:e | true]
>
> What else would I have to do?

I was conservative and did not override the default shortcuts, but
maybe I could ;-)
They are
<m-b>s

     Romain