[BUG] 0003400: Load Latest Code Updates Gives Walkback

John Pierce john at pierce.name
Sun Apr 2 18:22:37 UTC 2006

> > I logged a bug in Mantis about loading latest code updates. I have an
> > image built upon a fresh 7020 3.9 image and I cannot seem to "load
> > code updates" to get the 3071 patch. Details are at
> > http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3400.
> >
> > It might just be me or my image, but I'm not sure why I get the
> > walkback about SMBase-gk.63 not found.
> >

> Do you have updated SqueakMap in the image? I think what
> is happening is this: SqueakMap loaded the 2.1 version,
> updating to the next alpha then will try to merge in the SqueakMap
> changes in the 3.9a repository. For that, it tries to get the common
> ancestor.

Yes, I did "open" SqueakMap in my 7020 3.9 image which requires it to
load the latest SqueakMap. There probably is no way around "not doing
this upgrade" if you want to use SqueakMap in 3.9. Right?

> Now the repository registered with the in-image SqueakMap pakcages is
> wrong (old?) (modules.squeak...), resulting in the error.

Yep -- this defintely seems to be happening.

> > Any ideas or do I have to keep building new images from the latest and
> > greatest to get fixes?
>
> There is no really good way... the update stream allow to load a script
> then then merges with the latest in the 3.9a repository. But that's
> slow,
> and sometimes the results are not good... (see earlier discussions on
> the list).

Ok, I was just more or less curious how everyone who is working on
3.9a gets the latest updates. I suspect from your response, it is not
the "update" stream, but rather directly from MC repositories.

> for 3.9b we think about using an updates based updatestream for
> making it
> easier to track changes.

Don't do it on my account. I am just trying to figure out how to work
with the latest and greatest. If there is a good way to keep my image
current that I'm not aware of then let me know.

Thanks,

John