Preview of FreeType/Sub-pixel, for Windows. (Was: Henrik antialising)

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 2 21:37:13 UTC 2006

For those who haven't followed recent discussions, I have been porting the
Sophie project's FreeType code over to 3.9, and integrating it with my sub-pixel
anti-aliasing code which is based on the work begun by Henrik Gedenryd.

Windows users can download a self contained world (Win32 VM, plugins, image
based on 3.9a6705, Bitstream Vera fonts etc.) from here...

http://www.zen61439.zen.co.uk/Squeak3.9a6705_freetype.zip

There are instructions, in a Workspace, for installing new fonts, turning
sub-pixel anti-aliasing on/off, etc..
The image also includes Shout, ECompletion (modified to use the Vera fonts), and
RoelTyper.

This is very experimental, so obviously you shouldn't use it for any serious
work. It WILL crash. You have been warned. (To see it crash, run the image twice
so that it warns about not being able to write to changes, the VM crashes when
it tries to do the warning).

(I tried to load the code into a more recent 3.9 image, but in later images the
FT2Plugin does not work. I am fairly sure that this is due to the Traits
integration in 6706, which added vars to Behavior, and causes the
interpreterProxy->isKindOf calls to fail. There was some discussion of this
problem, earlier in the year. The VM+plugins were built from a 3.7 image,
because I had problems building in 3.8 & 3.9. ).

Cheers,
Andy