About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Apr 3 10:58:06 UTC 2006

Hi!

(missed this one before)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > Ehmmmm... no. I have communicated quite clearly but noone has ever
> > stepped up. Simle as that.
> > So in short - until someone actually *does* step up - stop complaining
> > about maintenance.
>
> I'm confused. Are you saying that you do not want to maintain squeakmap.
> May be I do not understand what you imply?

No, I intend to maintain SqueakMap for many more years. But it will be
ups and downs. Lately there has been a down period.
I am just saying that I am not *stopping* people from helping me - on
the contrary - I have asked numerous times for people to join me in the
maintenance/development of it. But as I said, so far noone has actually
showed any real interest.

And given that situation I humbly ask people to not groan too much about
maintenance.

> >> Goran this would be good to have a list of fixes and also beasts to
> >> beat to death
> >> and  ask for help.
> >
> > I posted at least to the Network list (probably can be found in the
> > I/O
> > team archives today).
>
> where can we find that?
> If I want to include that in the release I should know where it is
> and its status.

Well, I am dealing with SM now - feel free to bug the others on the I/O
team :) but here are my two most important postings:

	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/io/2005-October/000040.html
	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/io/2005-December/000046.htm

And here are the mcz's with detailed version notes:

	http://source.squeakfoundation.org/network/

I am pretty confident that my mcz's are pretty ok to include but don't
remember about the KLC mcz's (Ken Causey).

[SNIP]
> > Now - one question regarding that last part: Why did you replace *all*
> > underscores in the source with ":=" ?!?
>
> Because we got a lot of problems with code comparisons (when you
> integrate
> code you do not want to have problems because people used Shout or not).

I agree with the idea of having one representation of assignment in the
stored source - I just thought that getting new method versions (IIRC)
for this and also replacing inside comments (!) and inside literals (!)
seemed pretty buggy to me.

> > I saw at least one method in
> > which underscores *inside my String literals* had been replaced. Ouch.
>
> Ok an error, sorry about that.

Ok. Just note that we might want to find what methods were "banged up"
like this. My particular method stopped working (as you might have
guessed) because of this.

> > Anyway, now you know I am working on this and hopefully I will get it
> > out today or this weekend.
>
> Excellent because now we feel a bit orphan :)

Well, as I said - the offer to help me is wiiiiide open. Just step up to
the plate! :) But yes, I intend to focus more on SM from now on.

regards, Göran