New SqueakMap on the air... and we got problems Houston!

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Apr 4 00:21:08 UTC 2006

Howdy!

Ok, now its 2:12 AM and I gotta get up in about 4.5 hours. I have now
upgraded SM and AFAICT it seems to be working ok with 3.8 and 3.9
clients. It still (forgot to add code for that - perhaps we can still do
it) fails if you already have an old map in the "sm" dir and fires up a
fresh image and try to open the loader. But you can then either delete
the map-files in the sm dir (no need to nuke the whole dir and thus the
cache) and try again or simply execute manually:

	SMSqueakMap bootStrap

That is meant to install the latest SM into the image. :) Now, obviously
with a 3.6-7 image we stumble on ByteSymbol, ByteString when loading the
ImageSegment - this is why 3.6, 3.7 Squeaks can't cope with the new map.

Sigh.

So... anyone got a bright idea or should we just suck it up and declare
SM to be 3.8+ country? Time to move to a Magma solution? Though it still
seems awkward to demand Magma client in all SM enabled images. :) Or
perhaps we could just use a good ole SmartRefStream? I dunno, eyes are
dried up by now.

Over and out.

regards, Göran

PS. Feel free to post about more stuff to fix - now I have all the "hows
and whats" fresh in my head so making more tweaks is quite ok. And no, I
haven't bothered with SMLoader yet - but that is easy compared to the
rest.