installing nCompiler in 3.9 leads to Environment>>bindingOf: dependency conflict

William Hubbard billhubard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 04:58:21 UTC 2006

Sorry with this endless "absolutely beginner" questions, but this maybe can
help someone else like me, and you can save me some time by helping me:

Finally, I've launched the SqueakMap Package Loader succesfully under
3.9a7021 (thanks to Goran)

I wanted to install the nCompiler package, but I'm getting this error
message:

---------------
This package depends on the following classes:
  Environment
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these
definitions:
  Environment>>bindingOf:
---------------

Ok, as the message error has no useful meaning for me, an unfamiliar Squeak
developer, I have to translate "resolve dependencies" as "install another
package which contains this class" and go with that:
(and asking myself again: what's the real difference in writing a more
descriptive error message if it consist of just adding 5 or 6 words anyway?
...mmm maybe the "advantages" of polymorphic hierarchies applied to reuse
error messages?)

Well, no Environment class in 3.9a7021, it's ok 'cause I've started my
3.8image and searched which package belongs to "Environment". ...(BTW,
the
PackageBrowser has no tooltip or label in any pane, is the package name only
the leftmost pane? ), and the winner is the package "System-Support". Get
back to 3,9a7021 and no "System-Support" package listed in SqueakMap (yes,
I've updated the SM fine when it started)...my final question is where is
the class? should I install by hand: fileOut from 3.8 and fileIn in 3.9?
As you see, so many questions.
Hope anyone can help me.

Cheers

Bill