installing nCompiler in 3.9 leads to Environment>>bindingOf: dependency conflict

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 4 06:03:46 UTC 2006

On 04.04.2006, at 06:58, William Hubbard wrote:

> Sorry with this endless "absolutely beginner" questions, but this
> maybe can help someone else like me, and you can save me some time
> by helping me:
>
> Finally, I've launched the SqueakMap Package Loader succesfully
> under 3.9a7021 (thanks to Goran)
>
> I wanted to install the nCompiler package, but I'm getting this
> error message:

The package nCompiler is named "nCompiler for 3.8" for a reason: It's
for 3.8, not 3.9.

For 3.9, please install the package NewCompiler.

(yes, using different packages for different Squeak Versions is not
very good, but SM did not have support until recently
for branching a project for 3.8 / 3.9... I need to look into that
added branching support and see if it is useful
for cases like this).

I added some hints to the descriptions of the packages (part of why
they are in such a bad shape is that
SM did not work on 3.9 and so I did not bother to update them).

For NewCompiler: It depends on package AST, so you need to install
this first.
I updated NewCompiler to the latest version We are using the
NewCompiler heavily in a number of projects, so we are very
interested in
any bugreports / improvements.

> Well, no Environment class in 3.9a7021, it's ok 'cause I've started
> my 3.8 image and searched which package belongs to "Environment". ..

Environment was part of an experiment that was done maybe 5 years
ago. The experiment did not lead to a conclusion, but the
code was kept in place (like so many other failed experiments...).

For 3.9, I cleaned that up.

In the POPL paper of the History of Smalltalk, Alan has this nice
metaphor: "no biological organism can live in its own waste products".

Back in the 70ties, with the small systems they had, this can (and
was) be used to argue for throwing everything away and
start from fresh. I would argue that today, we should take it to
argue for cleaning up: The systems have gotten just too large
for re-starting (and who wants to re-implement e.g. a JPEG support
just for re-doing it?). Even the most ambitous blue-plane
projects needs a base camp to start the expedition from.

So let's clean up. slowly, without haste, but continuously, and thus
put the base camp as far up in the hills as possible.
I allways look at Squeak and see what it could be... is this what we
have now really the best we can do?

       Marcus